In May of 2009, 2 months after we had moved to Mexico, we decided to start trying for a baby. This was a big moment in our marriage—a moment when we realized we were ready for this next step, a time when we felt we had grown enough in our marriage to embark in this next season of life. With anticipation, fear, & excitement, our journey began…
…Months & months went by, & nothing. Living in another country & not having enough money to visit a doctor, we knew we were going to have to keep waiting, even though there seemed to be complications.
Month after month…day after day…more & more couples getting pregnant. Facebook was a horrible place to visit because it seemed like everyone was growing their families. The journey was becoming more & more hopeless & even lonelier.
After 15 months of trying & not having seen a doctor, we were anxious to get home & get our health insurance started. It was a relief when we finally got to see the doctor, but the results were devastating. Though we didn’t know anything, we learned that we were going to have to see a fertility specialist. This was overwhelming, to say the least.
This began another 8 long months of testing, weekly doctor appointments, & the uncertainty of whether we’d ever be able to have our own children. It was one of the hardest things we’ve ever gone through as a couple. And month after month we tried, feeling like it would never happen.
…and then it did. On April 23rd, the day before Easter we found out the best news—we were pregnant! It was surreal mostly. After 22 ½ LONG months, it finally happened.
I’d always heard that women who struggled with fertility issues seemed to forget all about them once their families started to grow. I didn’t want that to happen though. I knew that God had allowed us to embark on this journey for a reason, & if for anything, it’s to relate to other women & couples who struggle with the same thing. I know the pain, the loneliness & hopelessness & I don’t want to forget that.
We delight in this miracle every day & don’t want to take it for granted. “The miracle of life” is not a statement to be taken lightly. Having helped deliver 2 nephews already, I know what it is to see life come to fruition, & now we get to share in this in our own lives. And even more because of our journey, our little one truly is a miracle.
I am excited to post things on Facebook & share my growing belly with others. But with each post, and remembering what it felt like to hear of others good news, I know that pain all too well. And because of that, I never want to take this gift for granted. It truly is a miracle of life.
PS - we were reminded of how great a miracle each new life is, when our 3rd nephew Dominic was born 6 weeks early as an emergency C-section. He is strong & healthy & so precious. Just another reminder of God's faithfulness & goodness in our lives.

0 comments:
Post a Comment