
Yeah, it's been awhile! So much has happened in the last 3 months or so...it's actually hard for me to believe that summer is over! Less than a week ago, Matt and I returned from our trip to Africa. For those who don't know, I was in Ethiopia by myself for 3 1/2 weeks, Kenya (with Matt) for one week, and one final week in London before coming back home.
The journey was full of adventure, challenge, and many teachable moments. My time in Ethiopia was hard, especially being away from Matt for that long. But I wouldn't trade my experience there for anything. The first week I took an Ethics class -- the final class for my Master's program. It was a very valuable experience; taking an Ethics class in a different culture is definitely a learning experience! I was honored and pleasantly surprised by my experience. Unlike the normal classroom environment here in the US, I sat in a classroom with 12 other students, all of whom are very "high-up" government officials. My classmates included the Mayor, officials from the Department of Justice, and a large portion of the Ministry of Defense for the entire country. For the first time, I feared inequality in the classroom. After all I am not a government official nor have I had as much experience as the majority of my fellow classmates. Instead I received respect, hospitality, and genuine care.
The next 2 1/2 weeks in Ethiopia I volunteered at a local boys home called The Mercy House. It was during this part of the trip that I felt I really experienced the Ethiopian culture firsthand. I lived in the home, along with the family who runs the ministry and the eight boys who are currently housed there. Each boy has a family so the home acts as a rehab center (a rehab opportunity for the family, more than the boys themselves).
This home really acts a refuge for the boys and their families, providing the boys with medical attention, education, three meals a day, clothing, and other basic needs (that we generally take advantage of here in the US). The goal is for each boy to live in the home for one year and then return back to their family. Once the boy has returned, the Home continues to pay for their medical and educational needs, which relieves the family of any previous hardship.
These boys have forever touched my heart. One thing I did learn is that I don't think I want eight boys! But they also taught me a lot more: boys are boys no matter the country, culture, or language, but mostly the fact that any child is the gem in Jesus' eye. His call for us to become like children was awakened within my soul. Jesus calls us to be as children, not necessarily because of their innocence or naive optimism, but because Jesus calls us to be as the lowly. His ministry led him to always love the lowly: the woman, the leper, the untouchable, the handicapped, the child...And that was my challenge, to love these eight boys as Jesus called me to and to find myself in a place such as theirs. To capture the heart of Jesus is not always easy, but for some reason in Ethiopia, it rang loud and clear.
As time goes on, and I have more time to reflect on my experience, I will be sure to share more. For now, just know that my life has been shaken, perspective changed, heart stirred, and faithful action will persist.
The journey was full of adventure, challenge, and many teachable moments. My time in Ethiopia was hard, especially being away from Matt for that long. But I wouldn't trade my experience there for anything. The first week I took an Ethics class -- the final class for my Master's program. It was a very valuable experience; taking an Ethics class in a different culture is definitely a learning experience! I was honored and pleasantly surprised by my experience. Unlike the normal classroom environment here in the US, I sat in a classroom with 12 other students, all of whom are very "high-up" government officials. My classmates included the Mayor, officials from the Department of Justice, and a large portion of the Ministry of Defense for the entire country. For the first time, I feared inequality in the classroom. After all I am not a government official nor have I had as much experience as the majority of my fellow classmates. Instead I received respect, hospitality, and genuine care.
The next 2 1/2 weeks in Ethiopia I volunteered at a local boys home called The Mercy House. It was during this part of the trip that I felt I really experienced the Ethiopian culture firsthand. I lived in the home, along with the family who runs the ministry and the eight boys who are currently housed there. Each boy has a family so the home acts as a rehab center (a rehab opportunity for the family, more than the boys themselves).
This home really acts a refuge for the boys and their families, providing the boys with medical attention, education, three meals a day, clothing, and other basic needs (that we generally take advantage of here in the US). The goal is for each boy to live in the home for one year and then return back to their family. Once the boy has returned, the Home continues to pay for their medical and educational needs, which relieves the family of any previous hardship.
These boys have forever touched my heart. One thing I did learn is that I don't think I want eight boys! But they also taught me a lot more: boys are boys no matter the country, culture, or language, but mostly the fact that any child is the gem in Jesus' eye. His call for us to become like children was awakened within my soul. Jesus calls us to be as children, not necessarily because of their innocence or naive optimism, but because Jesus calls us to be as the lowly. His ministry led him to always love the lowly: the woman, the leper, the untouchable, the handicapped, the child...And that was my challenge, to love these eight boys as Jesus called me to and to find myself in a place such as theirs. To capture the heart of Jesus is not always easy, but for some reason in Ethiopia, it rang loud and clear.
As time goes on, and I have more time to reflect on my experience, I will be sure to share more. For now, just know that my life has been shaken, perspective changed, heart stirred, and faithful action will persist.

1 comments:
great hearing about your trip angie! post some pictures =)
Post a Comment